Thursday, June 10, 2010

To tech or not to tech...that IS the question!

For those of you who know me...you will know that while I am somewhat "tech savvy", it would not be listed as one of my intuitive skills, or core competencies...so when I told my family that I was going to start a blog, launch a web, and join facebook...to a man, all my family & friends said..."ready to be a techie?...ready to "be friends", ready to post and follow blogs, ready to start a webshoppe, ready to tweet, and in general put yourself out there in the webosphere? They know that my enthusiasm often leaps ahead of my "tech know-logy" and then I am reduced to a bit of hunt and pecking and to be honest calling on my youngest son to tell me which html string to add, how do I downsize a picture...and oops...where did my BLOG go, and how DO I get it back? (the answer to that last question, by the way is...you don't!) And to be perfectly clear...I am much more of a right brain kind of gal, than left brain whiz kid...
But... I really wanted to take this new step...
I really wanted to take on the challenge of something outside my skill set...
My husband and I talk all the time about pushing boundaries...using "muscles" we do not normally use...thinking outside the box about everyday things, and I think this may just be a good example of pushing boundaries for me!
So...
what have I learned so far?
Do not blithely go where you have not gone before (the old look before you leap adage holds very true here...) while it is terribly exciting to post your first blog...consider...this is my blog...not my sons...so share with them first, before telling the world a story about their life...
also, webpages take time and TALENT to create...it is not a matter of cut and paste and voi lah! This I learned after several attempts and a google site...it took me half a day just to figure out how to delete my very poor first attempt...Yikes!

That being said...DO experiment...do explore...DO go where no (wo)man has gone before (well not really, but hey! it still feels great!)...it is exhilarating to see the process unfold...and to be honest...I even enjoy the mistakes...because I enjoy, I really enjoy, figuring out how the heck I did that, and then fixing it!

For a shy person like me, it is important to keep all of this in perspective...It can get a bit overwhelming if you let it...But...people are amazingly kind! What a gift it is to spend time with these amazing people you meet out beyond your day to day to day...life!

So...On with the process...and it is a work in progress...be patient with me! I think I am a techie!

3 comments:

  1. You are wonderful Kathy! I am so glad you are my friend. xoxo Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't know how i found you but I can't wait to see your posts and finds!!! I am your first follower!!!! Go Kate! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate!! Thanks for following me. I'm glad to find some one who is newer at this than me...although I'll soon be in your dust, I'm sure. I just keep going by trial and error. You are right that there is much help out there. Everyone in blogland is so caring and sweet...just call for help and they are there for you!! I really liked what I saw on your header, and I'm looking forward to more posts!!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete